|Search Our Site
|bridal career casual date night formal high-low little black maxi skirt suits||shirts tanks tshirts tunics||capris gauchos jeans pants pant suits shorts||bras camisoles panties shapewear slips teddies||chemises pajamas robes sleepshirts slippers||blazers coats hoodies jackets shrugs sweaters trench coats||cover-ups sportswear swimwear workout||apparel<$10 tops<$15 dresses<$30 costumes maternity plus scrubs||animal prints asian influence black & white bohemian colorblocked metallics fashion tips articles||anklets bracelets earrings necklaces rings watches||belts books gifts handbags scarves||boots shoes slippers|
Shop By Brand
Plus Size Dress
Plus For Women
Go Glendale AZ
Love This Art
Design By Joyce
Tips To Looking SlimmerBy Sher Matsen
Just about every woman's weight fluctuates at least a little bit. As we age our bodies can also change shape. These changes are a result of many things – child birth, stress, menopause, additional pounds, or loss of weight. The reality is, that the world can't have all size 5 women.
If we are a size 3, it seems we want to be a size 9 so we have a fuller looking figure. If we are a size 9 we want to be a size 5. There's just no making women happy. Add the media blitz on the perfect body, and it seems we are always feeling inadequate.
Not to worry, it's quite easy to make yourself look a few pounds lighter, or to accent your finer points and hide your not-so-perfect body parts. There are also things you can do to make a small frame look a little larger.
Just because you've gained a couple of extra pounds, you don't have to go looking for a moo moo to wear. Accentuating your finer points is easier than you think. When you accent your good points, the not so good ones fade into the background.
Use illusion to make yourself look two or three sizes smaller. Choosing clothing to suit your shape, skin color, and lifestyle can cut your wardrobe spending in half. Think about all the things you can do with that extra money – buy more jewelry, or how about some new pairs of shoes. After all, us women can never have enough jewelry or shoes.
The average woman wears 25% of her wardrobe 85% of the time. So what happens to the rest of those wardrobe items? Well they hang in the closet gathering dust until they come back in fashion 10 or 15 years from now.
Because fashion changes so quickly, there is no point in stocking up on most wardrobe items. Yes, there are the basics that never go out of style such as classic black or white pants, dresses, and skirts, traditional blazers and tops. But the rest of those wardrobe items will most likely be out of style in less than a year.
So if you're not going to wear it right now this season, leave it at the store. Even when an item is on sale, it's only a deal if you're actually going to wear it.
Here are some tips to help you dress to look thinner:
• Dark colors – black, navy, burgundy, dark blue, and gray are thinning.
• Use one color in various shades from head to toe.
• Avoid large patterns and horizontal stripes. Vertical stripes are okay as long as they aren't too big.
• Don't use loose fitting clothing. Contrary to popular belief they don't make you look thinner. As well, avoid bulky sweaters.
• Use belts, accessories, and jewelry to draw attention away from your trouble spots.
• Use flat cut pants and skirts, as well as low rise pants.
• Wear skirts that fall just below the knees for longer looking legs.
• Avoid shiny fabrics, velvets, and velours.
• If you are large-busted, wear a full figure, well-fitting bra.
• Heels will add height and shape your legs.
• Dark panty hose will thin your legs.
• Wear shirts that fall below the waist. Avoid shirts that are tucked in.
• Asymmetrical or tiered skirts will make your legs appear thinner and longer.
• Wear a fitted blazer.
• Use your hair and makeup to draw attention to your face.
So don't worry if your weight fluctuates or you put on a few extra pounds, don't fret. Use these tips to make yourself look a little slimmer. Remember fashion is all about you! And being comfortable with who you are! Big or small, your wardrobe, makeup, hair, and jewelry can make a fashion statement that won't go unnoticed.
OUR PLUS SIZE
Always For Me
Hips and Curves
Jones New York
Just My Size
Plus Size Bridal
Plus Size Fix
Scrubs & Beyond
Sierra Trading Post
Swimsuits for All