Jeans very well may be the most-worn piece in your wardrobe. Yet finding a great pair that will fit and enhance your curves -- especially if you're plus-size -- can be a daunting task. If you're larger than a size 14 and struggling to find a stylish and sexy pair of jeans, don't fret. We'll help you find the most flattering style for your shapely figure.
Your Best Options
When shopping for a great pair of jeans, keep these four rules in mind:
- The darker the wash, the better. Rich blues and blacks are chic and most slimming, and darker denim transitions easily from day to night.
- Shy away from baggy and ill-fitting jeans. They'll only make you look bigger. But also pass on jeans that are so tight they leave nothing to the imagination.
- Jeans that stretch are your friend. They'll help you move comfortably throughout the day and will keep their shape better.
- Jeans sizing is all over the map. When looking for the perfect pair, be patient and try on many different styles and sizes. No one has to know what size but you.
When looking for a style that makes the most of your shape, the secret is in the details.
To elongate your legs, look for dark, bootcut, or flared jeans with slit pockets, or without pockets altogether. The continuous line of denim from hip-to-hem tricks the eye into thinking you're taller than you actually are. Also, pair your jeans with heels, making sure the hem hits the bottom of the heel.
To flatten a pudgy tummy, steer clear of low-rise; buy only mid to high-rise jeans.
To minimize larger thighs, look for fitted jeans with a flared or boot-cut leg - they'll create an even line from hip-to-hem.Also, opt for darker jeans. Avoid styles with fading on the thighs; it acts as a spotlight on your problem area.
To make your butt look smaller, try body-skimming, dark boot cut jeans with extra-large pockets. Avoid flaps or any detail that will add more volume to your rear.
To pump up a flat derriere, look for smaller, detailed pockets that sit higher on the seat of your jeans; this makes your bottom look rounder.
Where to Buy
Not sure where to find the best styles? Here's a brief list of a few retailers who carry jeans for the full-figured woman.
Lane Bryant's new Right Fit™ jeans are available in three ultimate fits - Straight, Moderately Curvy and Curvy. Right Fit is based on your body shape and size, not simply your waist size for that perfect custom fit.
- STRAIGHT is right for you if your current jeans fit your waist but are baggy, or fit your hips/thighs but have to be unbuttoned.
- MODERATELY CURVY is right for you is your current jeans ride down in the back of your waist or have pockets that gape when you sit.
- CURVY is right for you if your current jeans gape in the back or have to be clinched in at the waist.
Over 30 pairs of moderately priced jeans are available in sizes 14-32. Choose from several different cuts: trousers, bootcut, capri, straight, and classic. Shop by category, collection and extended sizes (28-32). Returns are fast and simple if you'd prefer to shop from home.
Levi's interactive tool JeanFinder helps you select the best jeans for you in a few easy steps. Plus-size jeans are available in sizes 14-28, and you can find trendier versions in the Juniors Plus section, up to a size 24.